[meteorite-list] Related Meteorite Falls 11 years apart? Both Hammers! Both L6 Olivine-hypersthene

From: Shawn Alan <photophlow_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:43:44 -0800 (PST)

Eric and Listers,

Hello Eric I like the analogy you made about...

"An asteroid smashes into another, a group of
thousands of pieces of debris go flying off into space towards the inner
solar system.....?Now let say for sake of argument ALL pieces but 2 get
pulled into other planets or get burned up by the Sun. This leaves two pieces. Now these two pieces could be hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of miles apart or more. One could be traveling slightly faster than the other but in the exact same elliptical orbit around the Sun. One piece could impact Earth while the other, being further behind misses, and doesn't cross the same space at the same time as Earth for another 11 years. That's really a short period in universe-time isn't it? Then again, this scenario could be reversed. The first piece could miss, the second piece could hit 11 years later. The orbit would not be disturbed that much
would it?"

This could happen and probably has happened over the course of the life of the solar system. However, this didnt happen?with the 2 Wethersfield falls?1 in 1971 and the other in 1982?from your hypothetical statement. I am not sure if the post got listed but I had wrote?earlyer tonight?.....

As for the 2 Wethersfield meteorites coming from the same parent body, I would have to say no because the petrographic is different between the two. In addition, the cosmic ray exposure age is 3MY for the 1971 fall and 50 MY from the 1982 fall making a 47 MY difference, inferring that the two falls came from different parent bodies. Here is a link to a pdf that explains this in better detail.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1987Metic..22..358C&amp;data_type=PDF_HIGH&amp;whole_paper=YES&amp;type=PRINTER&amp;filetype=.pdf

Shawn Alan

[meteorite-list] Related Meteorite Falls 11 years apart? BothHammers! Both L6 Olivine-hypersthene
Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Sun Mar 7 23:01:40 EST 2010