[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Humidity: Some Questions

From: John Hendry <pict_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 10:32:45 -0700

These may be daft ideas or already tried, but apart from dessicant removal
of moisture what about another line of attack...

(1) Removal of oxygen from the container... fill it with argon or nitrogen

(2) Scavenge oxygen from the container. The food industry deploys scavenger
sachets to remove oxygen from packaging and the most popular seem to be
sachets of iron filings. Probably these will oxidise quicker than the
meteorite given the larger surface area and absence of nickel.

http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?products_id=366

(3) UV activated scavenging polymers exist but these seem designed for final
depletion of an already low O2 atmosphere <2%. Might work in conjunction
with (1).

http://www.sealedair.com/products/food/os/oxygen_scavenging.html

(4) Use zinc as a sacrificial scavenger. Perhaps pack a perforated
non-conducting false bottom to the container with zinc wool thus isolating
it from contact with the specimen.

(5) Treat the specimen with vapour phase corrosion inhibiters. This will
form a molecular film on the specimen so I'm not sure of whether there would
be any alteration in the visual appearance of the specimen, or any other
undesirable side effects.

http://www.agmcontainer.com/vci/index.htm
http://www.agmcontainer.com/vci/vci_faqs.html

Regards,