[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Humidity: Some Questions

From: Marco Langbroek <marco.langbroek_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:11:02 +0100

> I store them primarily in Riker boxes and some in the
> jewel cases they arrived in. I live in north central Florida and except
> for my air conditioned home, I don't have the meteorites in any other
> climate controlled container or cabinet. I'm noticing a few of the irons
> (Miles especially) and one or two of the stony irons to appear a little
> rustier than when they arrived.

I am actually not so fond of Riker mounts. Maybe it is our Dutch climate, but I
noted specimens start to rust on the contact face between the Riker glass and
the stone/iron: probably because moisture condenses there and/or gets trapped.
This was while there was dessicant in (some) of the mounts.

The problems vanished once I got myself a glass display cage. My meteorites are
much more stable now.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco Langbroek - SatTrackCam Leiden, the Netherlands.
e-mail: sattrackcam at wanadoo.nl

Cospar 4353 (Leiden): 52.15412 N, 4.49081 E (WGS84), +0 m ASL
Cospar 4354 (De Wilck): 52.11685 N, 4.56016 E (WGS84), -2 m ASL
SatTrackCam: http://home.wanadoo.nl/marco.langbroek/satcam.html
Station (b)log: http://sattrackcam.blogspot.com
-----