[meteorite-list] The Perils of Type Collecting - A Guide

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:29:00 -0800

Murchison is a CM2

Greg S.

> Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:12:20 -0500
> From: cdtucson at cox.net
> To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com; damoclid at yahoo.com; meteoritemike at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] The Perils of Type Collecting - A Guide
>
> Good list,
> missing is the division between
> CBa Buencubbin
> CBb HAH 237
> CK3
> and Tagish lake is not ungrouped but I think is a C2.
> --
> Carl or Debbie Esparza
> Meteoritemax
>

> ---- Richard Kowalski wrote:
>> Thanks a lot Mike.
>>
>> I thought I had pretty much completed my type set a few months ago, but now I see that I'm missed a few gradations that maybe I should pay attention to.
>>
>> I think, for budgetary and sanity sake, I'll have to be selective in how fine my divisions are than to try to get every sub-type you mention!
>>
>> --
>> Richard Kowalski
>> Full Moon Photography
>> IMCA #1081

>>> CM1 (Murchison)
>>> CM2 (subdivided into CM2.0 to CM2.6)
>>> CM3
>>> CO3 (Ornans) (subdivided into CO3.03 to CO3.7)
>>> CV (Vigarano) (also CV2 and CV3)
>>> CK (Karoonda) (CK4, CK5, CK6)
>>> CR (Renazzo) (CR1, CR2, CR3)
>>> CB (Bencubbin)
>>> CH
>>> CR ungrouped
>>> C4 ungrouped
>>> C ungrouped (Tagish Lake, others)
>>>

>>> Ordinary Chondrites :
>>>
>>> Rumuruti R3 (subdivided into R3.5-6 to R3.9)
>>> R4
>>> R5
>>> R6
>>>
>>> LL (subdivided into LL3.0 to LL3.9)
>>> LL4
>>> LL5
>>> LL5/6
>>> LL6
>>> LL6/7
>>> LL7
>>> LL impact melt
>>>
>>> LL transitional (L/LL3 to L/LL6)
>>> L (subdivided into L3.0 to L3.9)
>>> L4
>>> L5
>>> L6
>>> L6/7
>>> L7
>>> L impact melt
>>>
>>> H/L transitional (H/L3 to H/L6 IMB, H/L3.6 to H/L3-4)
>>> H (subdivided into H3.0 to H3.9)
>>> H4
>>> H5
>>> H6
>>> H7
>>> H impact melt
>>> ungrouped ordinary chondrites
>>>

>>> Enstatite Chondrites :
>>>
>>> EL (EL3 to EL7)
>>> EL impact melt
>>> EH/L
>>> EH (EH3 to EH7)
>>> EH impact melt
>>> ungrouped enstatite chondrites
>>>
>>> K (Kakangari)
>>>
>>> Meta-chondrites (M-CV, M-CR, M-H, M-LL)
>>>

>>> Primitive Chondrites :
>>>
>>> Acapulcoite
>>> Lodranite
>>> Winonaites
>>> ungrouped primitive chondrites
>>>

>>> Achondrites :
>>>
>>> Howardite (subdivided into fragmental breccia and regolith
>>> breccia)
>>> Eucrite (monomict and polymict with each having
>>> subclasses)
>>> Diogenite (monomict and polymict)
>>> Olivine Diogenite
>>> Dunite
>>> Ureilite (monomict and polymict)
>>>

>>> Martian achondrites :
>>>
>>> Shergottite
>>> Pyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
>>> Olivine-phyric basaltic shergottite
>>> Olivine-orthopyroxene-phyric basaltic shergottite
>>> Pyroxene-peridotitic (Wehrlitic) shergottite
>>> Lherzolitic shergottite
>>> Diabasic shergottite
>>>
>>> Nakhlite
>>> Chassignite
>>> Orthopyroxenite (ALH 84001)
>>>

>>> Lunar Achondrites :
>>>
>>> Feldspathic breccias
>>> Regolith breccia
>>> Fragmental breccia
>>> Impact melt breccia
>>> Granulitic breccia
>>> Mafic-rich
>>> Thorium-rich
>>> KREEP-rich
>>>
>>> Mingled Breccia
>>> Mare Basalt
>>>

>>> Other Achondrites :
>>>
>>> Angrites (Plutonic and Basaltic)
>>> Brachinite
>>> Aubrite
>>> ungrouped achondrites (Ibitira, Pasamonte, etc)
>>>

>>> Stony-Irons :
>>>
>>> Mesosiderites (1A,1B,2A,2B,2C,3A,3B,4A,4B)
>>> ungrouped mesosiderites
>>>
>>> Pallasites (Main Group, Eagle Station group, Pyroxene
>>> group)
>>> Pallasite-am (anomalous, PMG-am, PMG-as)
>>> ungrouped pallasites
>>>

>>> Iron meteorites :
>>>
>>> Note, iron meteorites are a can of worms. I will only focus
>>> on the
>>> main chemical groups, and not the various grouplets and
>>> sub-types of
>>> each main chemical group. Also note that many of
>>> these types include
>>> silicated varities. Listing all of the known
>>> sub-types of irons would
>>> require a LONG list resembling a flow-chart.
>>>
>>> IAB
>>> IC
>>> IIAB
>>> IIC