[meteorite-list] Someone else is trying to sell a fake lunar..

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:58:21 -0400

Hi Gang,

If I am not mistaken, somebody already went after this guy before and
reported him to eBay - which is what prompted him to show up on
SkyRock with a chip (terrestrial) on his shoulder. eBay, as usual,
won't do much of anything, regardless of what evidence is presented,
because until a sale takes place, there is no fraud - like Carl said,
the auction wording is very tricky and avoids flatly stating that the
piece is lunar. But the seller certainly implies, rather strongly and
multiple times, that the specimen is a lunar. If I recall correctly,
I think this seller knows full well what he is doing and he is a
character of sorts - his offerings are a strange form of "performance
art" and I think he relishes this activity which seems like a game in
some way - I'm guessing at his motives here. Because if I think he
was an outright fraudster, he would charge a more attainable price and
increase his chances of making a sale - at these astronomical prices,
nobody is going to buy it.

I cannot speak for Dr. Korotev, but he is actively involved in
research and probably doesn't have the time to chase down all of these
bogus lunaites and the lunies who offer them. I think he has his
hands full with Goran Lindfors and the endless stream of spam emails
with dozens of photo attachments - which I also get from time to time.

Best regards,

MikeG