[meteorite-list] camppo del cielo meteorite medallions

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:02:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bob,

Hans Koser was responsible for the distribution of the first set of Campo Coins (medallions) He sold around 400 of the version without serial numbers. These were all hand machined and engraved, not die-stamped in Chaco, Argentina accounting for the slight variations.

I commissioned Hans to have 300 serialized versions made but production stopped at 230 due to cost overruns. These were the very first meteorite medallions to be serialized. I felt they would be more collectible with serial numbers and would be less likely to be copied or counterfeited when they become more valuable with time. Since then, several different types of medallions carrying serial numbers have been produced commemorating several different meteorites . I feel this adds another dimension to meteorite collecting as a whole.

Hans can give you a more accurate history than I.

Best Regards,

Adam