[meteorite-list] NWA 869

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 15:39:28 -0700 (PDT)

NWA 869 meteorites are very nice meteorites and there is nothing wrong with buying or selling them if you like them. That said, they are often sold as NWA 869 when many should be sold as "Likely paired with NWA 869" as the established Nomcom rules state, and has been repeated on here many times. This does not happen however and its sold as 869.

There have been several times when people have raised attention to sales of paired martians and other meteorites that are not clearly identified as pairings, yet no mention is made for common and less costly samples like NWA 869 and they themselves sell it as such. Due to price (in my opinion) it is allowed to fly under the radar and nobody gets upset when NWA 869 paired material is sold as NWA 869 while the samples have not been tested to confirm it.

This surely happens with many others, yet NWA 869 is the most common and is used as an example. There is tons of it, usually at less then .50 per gram. What should be done in a perfect world, several samples out of a batch of stones that are all likely 869 should be thin sectioned and tested. The results compared with 869 and then pairing claimed.
The problem is, Who wants to do that for a .50 per gram meteorite? What lab will pair NWA 869 material? Its a tough bumpy road that has many issues that lead to the ultimate conclusion... most likely 75% or more of NWA 869 can not/should not be called NWA 869 as per NomCom rules for official meteorites.

While I stated I would not buy or sell in 869 material, that is only my opinion and my choice as a collector/dealer and does not reflect or speak for anyone else but is simply my personal feelings about the double standards being put into place.

I will say for the record to make sure everyone understands and does not think I am taking shots at the meteorite - Its nice material, I do have a sample in my collection and I see nothing wrong with those that sell, own, or collect it. Personally, I think its a fine meteorite, but I also do like others and tell people it is thought to be paired with NWA 869 when I show them my sample.

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites