[meteorite-list] Hammer Question

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 13:01:15 -0700

Hi Richard and all.
        The definition you quote below is THE definition.
> "Hammer" - any individual which is part of a hammer fall in which one or more
> of the individuals struck an artifact, animal or human."
        (Note: a "hammer stone" is the specific stone that struck the
artifact, animal or human)
        However, it is inevitable that some will consider a dirt road an
Artifact and some will not. Even a paved road holds no interest to me,
Though I would not unequivocally state it is not a hammer. Howsabout
A fruit tree? Since fruit trees (at least the vast majority) are
1) all grown on rootstock budded to variety (I used to do this for work
When I was young) and
2) said varieties almost always represent decades if not centuries of
Hybridization....
Is a meteorite that strikes such a tree a hammer? THAT is a
Debatable question - the vast majority (dirt roads, paved roads,
Etc) have more to do with when the given collector wishes to consider
It a hammer. It is like, when is a meteorite an "oriented meteorite?"
If it has very distinct aspects? If it has ANY discernable aspects of
Orientation at all? (My soon to be released book will have hundreds of
Photos showing the vast array of different aspects and degrees of
Said aspects of orientation).
        Bottom line is, there are just some things that come down to
The individual deciding for him/her self. Like when is a guy "tall"
Or "short?" Or when is a woman "attractive" or a man "handsome?"
You will get a lot of different answers depending on who is describing
The attribute.
        No matter how specific the definition (and the above definition is
Quite specific) you will have varying degrees of opinion of what constitutes
An artifact.
        Best wishes, Michael