[meteorite-list] Rock testing...best place

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:07:00 -0400

Barry,
Sorry if this posted twice.
You may have a Lunar but, without a really good visible black shiny fusion crust
nobody will want to test it.
briefly , let me explain why.
First of all there is little reason to believe it is anything more than an
igneous rock.
They are found everywhere. Especially in the western USA. And your rock lacks
the exact contents of the pictured rock you are showing it with. Yours lacks the larger crystals.
Secondly, it has No fusion crust or even visible shock veins inside. Lacking both of
those features gives no reason to believe it was ever in space.
If you find someone with access to a scanning electron microprobe they could
tell you exactly what it is. That said. Based on certain elemental ratios they
could only rule out lunar origin but, they still could not confirm without more testing. Nearly 100 % of all
Lunar's must have O-isotopes that match Earth. This is only ever tested for on rocks
that they already know are Lunar's and largely just for confirmation because
every Earth rock is also going to have Earth O-isotopes.
So I agree with Phil. Even if it is Lunar, Until there becomes a lab that will
check, you are SOL.
Ted Bunch is our Lunar expert but, if he won't help you then keep looking
for other stones that actually look like they have once been in space and forget about this one.
Even Mike farmer has been fooled. And trust me. If anybody can tell a Lunar by
sight it is Mike. Period. If mike says no. It is a NO.
Try sending him a picture but don't mention me. He is the
best at identifying all meteorites on sight alone.
Cutting to the chase here. Lunar Meteorites tend to retain their crusts for a
very long time. After all it is glassy and glass is very durable in terms of weathering.
So, again . A lack of crust and shock veins means most likely an Earth rock. Sorry. Carl
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax