[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil webpage

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:42:42 -0700

Hello Svend, All,

I probably have as much experience as you do with desert irons; I
agree, but look at the photos. The first shows an xxkg half-buried
individual (the 83 kg?) that clearly protrudes more than 5cm above the
ground. Furthermore, you can tell very clearly that it is
well-embedded in the ground.

The second photo shows a meteorite that exhibits obviously different
features. But both irons are "right-side-up."

Compare to other Gebel Kamil irons that have been found. They all
show painfully clear differences in colour and texture:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=gebel&_sacat=See-All-Categories

- Or are you telling me that you can't tell which side was facing down
in all of those photos?

...And both are sitting in undisturbed soil. It takes one hell of a
strong guy to pick an 83 kg iron up and toss/drop it so that it lands
without disturbing the dirt around it. In fact, if you look at the
soil in each photo, it is *completely* undisturbed. Neither one of
those irons was moved before the photos were taken.

Regards,
Jason

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 6:26 AM, info at niger-meteorite-recon.de