[meteorite-list] Unique Scientific Situations was NWA 5363

From: MEM <mstreman53_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

Jason, your observation is spot on and well taken While I did mention CRE (
Cosmic Ray Exposure) analysis, my thoughts were more of being able to analyze
the mechanics of the fragmentation by observing/matching features from the
different adjacent surfaces.. e.g. were chondrules split in two or did the
matrix separate around chondrule surfaces. If so, what was the secondary
ablation loss between surfaces? Was there evidence of micro spalling on adjacent
surfaces evidencing the difference in internal vs surface temperatures. So many
fragments seems would give rise to analyzing some very esoteric musings that
might give insight into factors which control fragmentation.

Back to pairs, I imagine some directly matching fragments in other stones might
be used if one took a laser topography series so the surface could be digitally
analyzed looking for specific chondrule sites on both sides to see if the sheer
amounted to fracturing undulating within the matrix or the sheer was so specific
the rupture also split chondrules. Perhaps a good thesis project for some grad
student somewhere, sometime.
Regards,
Elton