[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil

From: bernd.pauli at paulinet.de <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: 25 Jul 2010 21:57:49 UT

Hello Folks,

Even though I am not an iron meteorite buff, I was intrigued when I saw the first reports
on the Gebel Kamil ungrouped ataxitic iron and when I saw the first pictures of this Hot
Desert beauty, I immediately knew I would have to add this unique iron to my collection.

I purchased two beautiful, expertly cut and prepared slices from Mirko Graul - one showing
those appealing schreibersites enveloped by swathing kamacite and another showing excellent
schlieren banding (just like Mirko's endcut on Ebay that found a new home a few minutes ago
- congrats to the lucky bidder!)

But a complete individual of this desert beauty was still missing from my collection...most of
them too large and consequently too pricey :-( .. until I remembered our list member's Mike
Bandli's offer of some smaller, perfect individuals with natural desert patina at a very affordable
price per gram. I was fortunate enough to purchase the 87-gram individual which displays a gorgeous,
leathery "fusion crust".

When I last visited his website, only three individuals were left, so you had better
hurry if you want to acquire an affordable specimen of this wonderful iron!

Best wishes,

Bernd