[meteorite-list] Vesta and its core.

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:53:25 -0500

I don't disagree with you (or all the authors you quote)
about short-lived isotopes providing the heat needed
to differentiate or at least contributing substantially to
it, in the case of Vesta and any early-formed body at
least 125-150 km or more.

But how much iron accumulates has not much to
do with how big or massy the body is; they don't
attract the iron by gravity. They are limited to the
iron content of the mineral grains that are the
junk that makes up the smaller bodies they will
accrete from. And that depends on the "nebular"
or disc contents at the place where they form.

It's like having a bunch of jars of "Planet Mix." The
iron content varies (mostly) by distance from the
Sun. Whether you mix up a big planet or a little
one, its contents depend on what was in the jar
of Mix originally. (Although volatiles will be lost
in the "cooking.") The absolute size of the core
is beside the point; what tells you about formation
materials is the percentage content, which is what
the authors you cite are talking about.

> I am also at loss with your reasoning of Earths,
> Mars, and Vestas volume to ratio to the core size.

There "should" be more iron content in a planet
the closer to the Sun it formed. That's the point.
Theoretically, Mercury should be a higher pro-
portion of iron core than the other terrestrial
planets (it does), Venus less than that, Earth
less than that and Mars least of all (it does).

But it's complicated by giant impacts "donating"
more iron core materials to the Earth and Mercury.
Venus appears to have the same amount of iron
core as the Earth, although it's hard to tell because
its core seems to still be liquid, not solid.

The Earth was smaller than Venus and its core was
smaller too... until the Moon Maker body hit us,
gave up its iron core to bulk up ours and added to
our rock mantle. The Moon formed from the escaped
debris.

Without that "accident," the Earth would have been
a smaller planet with an even smaller core. The
mantle and crust would have solidified into a single
piece. The small core wouldn't generate enough
heat for convection and tectonics. A smaller planet
wouldn't gather as many volatile-rich late accretors;
we wouldn't have oceans, just lakes. We would have
a much weaker magnetic field. Atmospheric stripping
would become a significant process. Water loss would
be much faster. In a word, we would have been a lot
more like Mars.

A mice place, but not my idea of home. A Mars-like
Earth would ruin my day...

> "estimates of the amount of metal in Vesta
> vary widely between 0 and 50 wt%"

When estimates vary that widely, it's a clue that
we really don't know. However, those same authors
come up with an even bigger iron core size than
the one I quoted. But we will soon know more.

DAWN will not "go by" Vesta next summer; it will
arrive and stay for a year. In that year, we will learn
more about Vesta every week than we already know
by squinting at it for 200 years.

I expect to see a very ancient body, hammered
beyond belief, with incredible surface relief, and
as dry as our Moon. Of course, surprises are good.
I always like it when the Universe surprises me.

Sterling K. Webb