[meteorite-list] The Cosmic Tusk just turned it up a notch -- George Howard et al patent hypoxic process to make carbon into nanodiamonds, based on 13 Ka ice comet fragment air bursts evidence: Dennis Cox:: R ich Murray 2010.07.21

From: Steve Schoner <schoner_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:06:35 GMT

Very interesting and compelling evidence.

And this brings to my mind again, the thought of cometary air burst events as explanations for tektites. Those that were on this list 15 years or more ago must remember the numerous posts and exchanges I had with Darryl Futrell and others regarding mega air bursts causing these odd pieces of glass depleted of water.

After Shoemaker-Levy impacted Jupiter in July of 1994 Dr. Shoemaker, (a friend of mine) produced some papers on the event. What I found interesting was the odd puff of hydrogen and oxygen that the impacts produced. And that hydrogen was expelled into space, actually leaving Jupiter's gravity well, and the heavier oxygen was captured completely as the impacted Jovian atmosphere cooled leaving black smudges.

So what I saw happening, that no one else could see, was that the areas of impact had vaporized solid cometary silicate components depleted of water which was dissociated of hydrogen by the impact, but oxygen rich. And as that impact area cooled the black smudges may actually be tektite glass. Re-condensed from the vapor cloud depleted of hydrogen, rich in oxygen, and silicate components.

The black smudges are actually clouds of glass particles, completely depleted of water.

I proposed this to Dr. Shoemaker in a rather lengthy explanation (much more so than here) in I think 1996 or early 1997, and he told me that that is a very interesting explanation for tektites. One that should be explored. Unfortunately to my and everyone's dismay--- Dr. Shoemaker was killed in a car accident in Australia shortly after...

Mega air bursts do happen... And they create the things that are being seen now in this Dryas event. But with larger mega bursts, I think that such can and have produced the water depleted glasses that we know as tektites. And I think the evidence of the process was shown to us when Shoemaker-Levy struck the Jovian atmosphere in July of 1994.

It would be interesting to see if there are any micro-tektites, (glass depleted of water) in any of the Dryas deposits.

Steve Schoner
IMCA #4470
http://www.petroslides.com

Message: 1
http://rmforall.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.htm
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
[ at end of each long page, click on Older Posts ]
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/astrodeep/message/55
[you may have to Copy and Paste URLs into your browser]

www.cosmictusk.com

http://craterhunter.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ndmethod.jpg
large detailed poster -- Control + to magnify