[meteorite-list] Be Careful - It is hot!

From: Alexander Seidel <gsac_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:15:43 +0200

Hello list,

here in Berlin we had and actually still have temps in the 33-37 deg C ranges, which roughly translates to the mid-90s degrees on the Fahrenheit scale. This is already felt to be "unusually hot" summer weather for a typical Central European, and, even more, felt to be quite uncomfortable if it is sticky and muggy in addition. Air Conditioners in locations like hotels etc. are by far not a matter of course like in the U.S., where you will find them everywhere, except perhaps for the Southern European countries like Italy and Spain, where it gets hotter than in the Central parts of the good ole continent.

Americans are sometimes surprised, when they come to visit us. If you intend to do so for the first time, and are well accustomed to A/C, then better ask the hotel staff before booking whether the location offers air conditioning or not. The more expensive hotels will almost certainly do, but you can never be sure in the medium price ranges, where in the worst case, you will have to suffer hard like e. g. at the old La Couronne hotel in Ensisheim/France in the past years (which btw. is now closed)...

Alex
Berlin/Germany

-------- Original-Nachricht --------