[meteorite-list] Rosetta Flyby of Asteroid 21 Lutetia

From: lebofsky at lpl.arizona.edu <lebofsky_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:30:44 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jason:

The asteroids that are spectrally similar to carbonaceous chondrites (CI
and CM) are B-, C-, and G-class asteroids. The density of Ceres is about 2
grams/cc and I think that they range up to about 2.5 grams/cc. Many Cs
have densities lower than 2, which probably indicates that they are rubble
piles.

I think that the CM grain density is something like 2.7 grams/cc (Britt et
al.)

While there are a number of M-class asteroids that are spectrally linked
to a metallic composition (fairly flat visible spectra), there is a lot of
evidence that they may not be metallic. I do not remember the infrared
spectral properties of 16 Psyche, but its density is around 2.0 grams/cc.
Lutetia has a 3-micron feature indicative water of hydration (as seen in
CI and CM meteorites) and also has a silicate feature in the 10-micron
region.

Larry