[meteorite-list] Rosetta Flyby of Asteroid 21 Lutetia

From: Rob Matson <mojave_meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 20:24:03 -0700

Hi Sterling/Jason/List,

Back in 2008 I worked closely with Jim Baer to help refine
the masses of many of the largest asteroids by searching for
pre-encounter archive imagery of "target asteroids". The technique
is a pretty clever one: whenever any asteroid (usually it's
a small one) has a very close encounter with a large asteroid
whose mass you'd like to compute, the small asteroid's orbit
will be gravitationally perturbed by an amount that depends on
the closest approach distance, the velocity of the encounter,
and the mass of the large asteroid. Since the encounter velocity
and closest approach can be accurately determined, the amount of
the deflection can be used to solve for the mass.

(21) Lutetia was one of the asteroids for which I submitted
archive astrometry for a number of target asteroids. I was able to
find and measure over 130 positions in the archive images of six
target asteroids: 11362, 36409, 38772, 56641, 60272 and 61507.
I don't happen to recall if my astrometry helped further refine
Lutetia's mass or not, but my efforts *did* refine the masses
for quite a few large asteroids: (2) Pallas, (3) Juno, (4) Vesta,
(6) Hebe, (7) Iris, (8) Flora, (9) Metis, (10) Hygiea,
(11) Parthenope, (13) Egeria, (15) Eunomia, (16) Psyche and
(19) Fortuna. The work for each asteroid is quite labor-intensive,
and usually the deflections are too small to get a good estimate
of the mass. But the occasional successes made the work quite
rewarding, and I expect Jim and I will resume this work at
some point in the future when our schedules allow.

--Rob