[meteorite-list] Meteorics Master Degree Ideas and Educational Institutions

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 16:34:46 -0400

Hi Ryan,
you said;
"Also, does anyone have some ideas for a Masters Degree project?"
I know nothing about colleges in this field but, it is a field that seems to still be in it's infancy.
In spite of the fact that we do have brilliant Scientists in this field, To me the area most lacking that might be a good area for you to earn your masters is in early meteorite detection. i.e. sorting out earth rocks from space rocks.
Perhaps you could train a dog to sniff out meteorites or invent a machine that would do the same. Surely they must have unique smells?
The way it works today is largely an educated guessing game.
Goes something like this;
Scientist looks at a prospective find and visually inspects the rock.
Yes, they are very well trained in recognizing the features that all known meteorites possess.
But , as we have already learned time and time again. Some of these rocks can be sneaky little devils.
Rocks with somewhat hidden surprises. The trouble is . Not yet knowing all of these hidden traits and not having a crystal ball. Sometimes real meteorites may be overlooked. It is for that purpose that a Scientific way to check them ( pre-qualify them) is past due.
Perhaps this technique could involve sniffing out stuff only found in Meteorites such as , Metals ( quite a few on this list) , certain isotopes or gases caused by time in space or stuff not normally smelled in Earth rocks?

Fusion crusts can also be a tough nut. Is it Fusion crust or Desert varnish, or Weathering rind or a natural coating of glass?
In a recent post by our own microscope master imager Tom Phillips. Tom introduced to us a particular feature he found exclusively in a fusion crust. It was a dedritic pattern of materials only seen microscopically within the fusion crust area of the same material seen within. This is a new way that Tom introduced us to as a way of verifying a true fusion crust as anything else would not show a dendritic melted texture as seen in true fusion crusts.
Either of these suggestions could potentially save our extremely important Scientists a fortune in confidence alone not to mention the time it would save them. Best to you. Carl.

--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax