[meteorite-list] Stony meteorite with hole - holey stoney.

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 18:55:26 -0400

Hi List,

I was talking with a friend today about meteorites with holes and
whenever the topic arises, the first place it goes is irons - usually
Sikhotes.

It reminded me of a small piece I have had in my collection for a
while. This is a 7.4g unclassified NWA stony meteorite. It has a
nice little hole in it. I'm guessing it is from weathering? The
stone is quite weathered and all of the fusion crust is long gone. It
does have a uniform coating of wind-polished desert varnish, so I am
assuming the hole is from weathering. It was one of those little
meteorites that I culled from a kilo-sized lot and stuck it into my
stash. I don't know why, but I really like it and would not sell it.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj24/Meteoritethrower/unwa-hole-1.jpg

Best regards,

MikeG