[meteorite-list] Lorton, Smithsonian and "cool" scientists thinking

From: Paul H. <oxytropidoceras_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:39:51 -0600

Steve wrote:

?I am not sure of all of the reasons, and who made the actual
decision to deny us and our audience the opportunity to see
it first hand, but it seems that because the Smithsonian
now has their own new cable TV network, and as such it is
now their policy to not give any competing TV networks any
access to shooting any of their stuff in their collections.?

and

?Apparently, other networks have had severe access challenges
lately in wanting to get footage of other national treasures
since the Smithsonian cable network was formed. In our case it
seems to be a real shame as it would have generated great PR
for both our TV show and for the Smithsonian and for meteorites
in general.?

Having had a little dealing with the Smithsonian in matters,
unrelated to meteorites, the impression that got is that with
continuing cuts in their federal funding, the Smithsonian has
had to more and more rely on generating income from private
sources. One result of this is that in order to generate income
to support the operation of the museum, many activities
have been commercialized, including the selling of exclusive,
first come, media rights to certain newsworthy events. I doubt
that any ?prejudice against the collecting community? has
anything to do with your treatment. It is simply that in order
to generate income from private sources to replace federal
budget cuts, they have sold the media rights to ?discoveries,?
like the Lorton meteorite, to a private company. I suspect that
it is an outside company, not the Smithsonian, who now make
the decisions on such matters. I suspect that a number of the
people at the Smithsonian are as unhappy as you are with this
state of affairs. However, it would be a bad career move for
anyone to either openly or privately disagree with, express any
displeasure of, or violate the contracts / agreements that they
have with various outside companies.

This growing commercilization and turning research into
commodities managed by outside companies is a growing
trend ion many museums. Go read:

Caveat Venditor? Museum Merchandising, Nonprofit
Commercialization, and the Case of the Metropolitan
Museum in New York by Stephen Teopler in ?International
Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations? at:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/9229h92302851283/

MUSEUM MERCHANDISING: AN EXPLORATION OF ITS USES
AND LIMITATIONS at:

http://museumstudies.si.edu/Fellowships/toepler.html

The cost of journal articles, like the above one, is another
aspect of this problem.

While working at an archaeological site, which I was working at
and shall remain nameless, some friends of mine were prohibited
from taking pictures of the site while visiting me because a
well-known, national organization that was funding the dig had
exclusive media rights as part of the funding agreement. Even I,
theoretically was prohibited from taking my own personal pictures.
However, since I actually worked there, people, the director just
looked the other way. However, there were a couple of times when
representatives from the funders were visiting, we all were told to
hide our personal cameras for the duration of their visit.

Yours,

Paul H.