[meteorite-list] Meteorite Photography (Must read!)

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 23:59:14 -0700

AL & John- More depth of field at higher F-stops yes, but you loose sharpness with each f-stop.? Therfore, combining a series of F2.8 shots into one picture will be sharper then shooting at F22.? This is proven and published in several canon and nikon articles.? Especially when you have a 10-24mega pixel camera with highlight tone priority on with a good processor.

Rob- An interesting fact that ties in with when you say "a good lens" is that lenses with the wider minimum apertures are sharper at higher f-stops than lenses that don't as wide of a minimum aperture.?
For example:? An F1.4 lens at F3.5 is sharper then a F2.8 lens is at F3.5.

Chris is very right!? I use my F1.8 50mm at a minimum of F2.2-F2.8 for that very reason.? It's often in Vincent Laforet's Blogs.

Martin is right about extension tubes! I also have the Sigma 70-300mm which, with the flip of a switch, can be used for macro between 200mm and 300mm.? That is the sharpest F3.5-5.6 lens I've ever seen or used.? I can't believe I only payed $200 for it!? It's a challenge to flip it to macro, then put both of my extension tubes on it.? It's almost a microscope!

Matteo, dont mention Zeiss lenses.? I'll burst with jealousy! You are spoiled!

[Erik]