[meteorite-list] Updated Lorton trajectory

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:37:06 -0700

Hi Mike-

Meteorites are falling at terminal velocity for miles before they hit. They
rapidly lose all of their original velocity components. So yes, this
particular meteorite would have behaved the same regardless of its entry
characteristics.

The ground is hard... really, really hard. In many cases, you can consider
it to be essentially incompressible. So even a heavy object landing hard and
fast can easily find itself sitting in nothing more than a shallow divot.

Roofs and ceiling, on the other hand, are generally pretty flimsy. A small,
dense object traveling at 100 m/s can rather easily pierce such structures.

Meteorites do chip stone and concrete when they land. It really doesn't take
all that much energy to do that. Toss a stone off a cliff onto rocky ground
and you'll see plenty of chipping, and the tossed stone probably won't even
have reached terminal velocity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory