[meteorite-list] Book: ASPECTS OF ORIENTED METEORITES

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:40:01 -0800

Hi all,
        I have had multiple inquiries as to the date of the release
Of ASPECTS OF ORIENTED METEORITES. I had sincerely
Hoped I would have it completed and published in time to bring
A hundred or so copies to this year's Tucson Show. However, it is now
Clear that the publication date will not be until after the Show.
        Some may wonder "Why is it taking so long" (and some have
Even publically criticized me for the time I have put in) - well, the
Main reason is that literally hundreds of generous individuals
Have sent me photos of oriented meteorites. Additionally I have
contacted others regarding photos I had seen before and have
Been granted permission for their use. (Of course, each
photographer will be specifically identified regarding each image).
        HOWEVER, none of the photos were shot with "black & white"
In mind and a full color book would cost a small fortune. Unfortunately,
most of the photos which may be excellent in color make for very poor
Contrast in B & W. (IE, a photo of a specimen with a deep blue
Background may show in excellent contrast to the color but will
result in a very poor image when color is removed, leaving very little
contrast between the specimen and its now dark gray background.
        Therefore, I have spent hundreds of hours removing all
background in most of the photos (a minority did translated well
directly to B & W).
        Of course, that is not nearly ALL the time I have been spending,
As writing and rewriting has been required to make the text organized,
Interesting, easy to integrate and maximally informative for both
The beginning and the seasoned collector. I do not want this text to
Simply be a few hundred "really cool photos" but lacking in clarifying
What exactly are the visible aspects of oriented meteorites and to
Understanding the profound degrees to which those aspects may vary.
        In addition to the above, a good many "late arrival " photos are of
such striking imagery they really should not be left out and still continue
to come in. Of course, I will have to "cut off" acceptance as the final
days of publication are in process, but until the last moment, if a truly
Demonstrative image is made available to me I do not feel I can
Nor should I turn it down.
        I will be the first to admit that initially I had naively imagined
"knocking out" this book in a matter of a few months. Well, the joke
Was on me.
        On more than one occasion in my life I have allowed myself
to be "rushed" to finish something and as a result it was less than
it could have or should have been. Therefore, I would rather miss my
self-imposed "deadline" of the 2010 Tucson Show by a several weeks
than to "settle" for what I know is less than I could have done.
        Sincerely, Michael Blood