[meteorite-list] Strewnfield or Strewn Field?

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:39:00 -0800

Hi Listees,

Thanks to you all who've written in with kind words and comments on my
new article a few days back titled "What is a Meteorite Strewnfield?" I
really appreciate your compliments. I hope you all enjoyed it. If you
haven't read it yet please do so. It's a good informative read, and even
has some pretty pictures too. ;)

The reason for this email is to ask about proper use of the word(s)
strewnfield. While researching the article I noticed that the numerous
websites on the internet had 2 ways of spelling the it. Should it be
"Strewnfield" one word... or "Strewn Field" two seperate words?

Every time I type in strewnfield in a search it comes up with "Did you
mean?" "strewn field" with a space. I've seen it described as "Strewn
field" on Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strewn_field Then in
the paragraph just below it reads "strewnfield" all one word again. To
make matters more confusing Encyclopedia Britannica has the word with a
hyphen i.e; strewn-field.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/569002/strewn-field Google
shows 67,500 results for the phrase "strewn field" and the same amount
for strewn-field" with a hyphen, meaning they don't recognize the
hyphen. Google also shows 23,700 results for the single word
"strewnfield". Not to mention the many articles and papers all over the
internet with ALL 3 ways of usage of the word.

So which is it? or does it really matter?

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA
www.meteoritesusa.com