[meteorite-list] Meteorite Men Comment

From: ensoramanda at ntlworld.com <ensoramanda_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:43:54 +0000

Hi Paul,

Following on from your information about bog iron....I was recently shown a picture by a friend who had visited Orkney, off the coast of Scotland. It showed a rock labeled as a meteorite in a cabinet at the museum there. I had never heard of that before and followed it up with emails to the museum and other investigations. Apparently that was collected after a fireball was seen over the island many years ago and although it is still labelled as 'meteorite' in their small museum it has been independently looked at by a local geologist who seems sure it is bog iron. Apparently it is commonly found on the Island in the peaty areas.

I too am still not confident what that stone may be...I am sure it has never been tested for nickel. Meteorite or Meteorwrong? A new British meteorite or not? The finder's family say they have some other pieces and would send me samples, but nothing yet.

Anyone know the exact mechanism that forms bog iron?

Graham Ensor..UK