[meteorite-list] Your top meteor sightings!

From: debfred at att.net <debfred_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:18:03 +0000

  Hello List,
My TOP meteor sighting has to be Jan. 11th 1998 just after midnight. My wife and I were on our way home from a friends birthday party in Lakewood, Colorado. We were on the Colfax viaduct where it crosses the Platt River, Interstate 25, and many rail lines when the sky to the south lit up like it was daytime. We looked and saw a incredible meteor moving at a low angle from west to east over Pikes Peak. The meteor lasted a few seconds and the sky went dark.
I was part of a search team organized by the Denver Museum and later have spent several days looking for the meteorites it may have produced. I think it was about two years later when a young boy found a beautiful black crusted meteorite in the projected strewnfield. It has been classified as a L6 chondrite. Then just a couple of years ago Matt Morgan and Gary Curtiss were able to purchase that stone. Thanks to them I was able to purchase a full slice and I now am able to look over at my display case and see that "meteor" any time I want. It is so special, I feel incredibly lucky to have a piece of the Elbert Meteorite! I have often wondered how many others on the list have seen a meteor and then were able to obtain a piece of the meteorite that produced it?

Best Regards, Fred Olsen, Denver