[meteorite-list] THE METEORITE MEN is the greatest promotion ofmeteoritics Ever.

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 13:47:11 +0100

Hello,

I fully agree!

Dr.Hey, Dr.Mason, Prof. Orcel, Prof. Sztrokay and Dr.Fournier D'Albe wrote
once:

"Since meteorites are the only specimens we receive of material from outside
our Earth, it is essential for the progress of science that every effort be
made to collect these specimens and make them available for investigation.
Unesco, through its Working Group on Meteorites, is trying to interest
people everywhere in the observation and recovery of meteorites."

That are the first sentences of a circular, they proposed, which....

"It is recommended that the circular"..."be sent to the institution
responsible for meteorites in each country, with the suggestion that copies
of it be given wide circulations in schools, post offices, police stations
and other public services. It is desirable that the press and radio be
encouraged to arouse public interest in this subject."

(UNESCO/NS/189, Paris 1964).

I'm not aware of any attempt in the recent 45 years, which accomplished that
mission so grandiosely like Geoff's and Steve's Meteorite Men series.

I hope, the series will be broadcasted in Europe too,
where, seen the situation of most museums and institutes, meteoritics
urgently could need more publicity.

And if you ask me, I would know two hot candidates for the next Service
Award of the Meteoritical Society ;-)

Best!
Martin