[meteorite-list] Meteorite Men - Where do the dollar values comefrom?

From: meteorhntr at aol.com <meteorhntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 03:40:04 +0000

Hi MikeG and List,

In this episode, Sony's CM1 is one of only two found outside of Antarctica. The other one, as I understand, sold out quickly at several thousand dollars per gram. Sony has placed a value of $1,000 per gram thus the estimation of his 699g rock at $700,000 is probably reasonable for a US find.

I was quoted as saying these ordinary chondrite pieces were probably worth $1 per gram but I will probably list them on eBay for $5 per gram (for the 2-10g size pieces) and see how they do.

Steve Arnold