[meteorite-list] Russian meteorites-- don't take them for granite!

From: Peter Davidson <P.Davidson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:27:21 -0000

Dear All

It is interesting that Darren should raise this topic now. Yesterday
afternoon (Thursday 11th), I was contacted by the BBC and asked to
comment on this very item and also to say something about the illegal
trade in meteorites.

I also took the opportunity to inform them of the situation in Sudan
regarding the arrest of "illegal" collectors.

It goes without saying that, as a National Museum, we have to be
absolutely certain that any purchase we make is checked out and that the
vendor has legal title to the object he/she is selling - this goes for
any potential accession whether it is a priceless antique or artefact, a
piece of technology such as an old radio set or railway engine, or a
mineral/meteorite. It would be a disaster if we were knowingly to buy
anything that is in any way "dodgy". The result of this is that we are
no longer approached by sellers or dealers with this type of material.
This means that I am not that knowledgeable on the illegal trade in
meteorites. I know it goes on - I am not blind - but I have no first
hand experience.

What this matter does show is that the media are now picking up on this
trade and raising awareness of it to a new level. Much like they did
with the illegal collecting and trading in fossils and minerals. It will
never stop it, but it does make everyone in the business, or it should,
a little more wary.

Have a great weekend

Peter Davidson
Curator of Minerals