[meteorite-list] Glass-coated Campos?

From: Steve Dunklee <steve.dunklee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:07:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi all!
Ed beat me to the silicosis problem. You can buy liquid glass at most any pharmacy in the States. coating metorites with liquid glass may be the same as putting them in a wet plastic bag. the chemicals needed to make it liquid are highly corrosive. If you follow careful directions you can use it to seal leaks in engine blocks, radiators and heater cores and it has many other uses, but I doubt meterorite preservation is one of them. It holds water which causes bacteria and other micro organisms to explode. holding water on a meteorite only causes rust. so as the liquid glass disolves and recrystalzes under the rust you end up with something like Lawrencite disease. with the only way to remove the liquid glass by perchloric acid. I may be wrong on this one it may actually work but if they recomend flushing your radiator after the leak is sealed to prevent it from locking everything up from rust. I dont think it will work to preserve meteorites.

cheers
Steve