[meteorite-list] Fw: RFSPOD - February 9, 2010 Buzzard Coulee Blue Inclusion

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 12:00:25 -0800 (PST)

It reminds me of some iridescent colorings I've seen on some weathered?iron oxides.? I've seen it in rock specimens which were weathering out of veins which contain gold, various Fe oxides and Mn oxides.? I can't think of any mineral names (maybe Goethite).? A geologist would know - I can't imagine why it wouldn't be seen in meteorites - like when a piece of iron is coming through the crust.? I can't say for sure, but I bet I've seen it in weathered Holbrook meteorites or SAU001.? That's no guarantee it is the same stuff, but it's similar in appearance.? I hope that helps.

But for sure it definitely doesn't look like the blue chondrule that was shared the other day if that's the inclusion you're talking about.? It's very interesting for sure!

Mark B.
Vail, AZ