[meteorite-list] 2010 Blood auction

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:52:21 -0800

Aloha mai kakou listoids,

I boogied outta Tucson early Sunday morning, but not before catching my first Tucson Meteorite Auction Saturday night at the VFW. Awesome action on nice pieces - included some spirited bidding on a big SA shrapnel to end the show...and who'da thunk the Count as an auctioneer? Let alone a real good one? Thanks Count, you were awesome. But thats not to take anything away from the Capt'n as Michael Blood deftly steered the auction through a 10 pm completion.

During the preceding 5 days, I saw some awesome meteorites (a few of which I procured), and met some righteous people from around the country and the world. It was great being able to place a face with a name, and to meet in person people with whom I only had a virtual acquaintance. Thanks Twink for the GB, Rob for convincing me to make the pilgrimage to Tucson, Rob+Mike+Jason for lunch for Sonora Dogs (glad we didn't trust your GPS and truck 480 mi to get'em), Johnnie French Fry for the wholesalers pass and da inside scoops (take care of that PF and Jana), Mica and Thomas for sharing awesome stories of your expeditions, Said for showing me your stash under the table (Ward got the R chondrite I was considering...dang), Blaine and Blake for a screaming deal on you-know-what, Eduardo for your nice specimens and beautiful mineral gift, Doug hope you enjoy your birthday dio, Steve and Geoff for the great times at the Birthday Bash, Mike F for sharing some cool stories and letting me high grade your stash, Jim
 S for your killer tee shirt and showing me that bomb of an Imilac, Moritz for that awesome coffee, Matt M for bringing my meteorites that you prepared, Anne for signing Alain's book, Jim S for letting me hold your Franconia, Dave G for your warm smile and entertaining stories, Dr Jack for your time to share your stories and map (dang I wish I had photographic memory :), Richard K for introducing me to Dolores and your Sara, Greg for your insight into dealing, Erich and Sylvia for your awesome irons (on which a few drops of drool may have accumulated), Count for your entertaining presence (I still have that lod endpiece :), Hans for your warmest smile in meteorites, Dr Svend for your camaraderie over beers at Sky Bar, Rob and Shauna - spread the aloha with the shirts, Ruben mahalo for the bird turd Ash Creek and the offer to hunt, Quinne, Maria and Ryan for braving the cold with me outside Sky Bar, Big Steve for not stepping on me, Bob Haag for meeting your acquaintance, Dana and Keith for the stories and b
aby frags, Dima and Serge for the deals, Bruno and Carine for showing me that big Fukang slice, Dr Larry and Nancy for finally meeting (I will get that article to you), Mike M for snaking Farmer's saw (snooze you loose), Linton for your funny stories, Mark B for your offer to hunt, Paul H and Jim T for your friendly smiles, new book and offers of support to me in my lapidary endeavors, Arizona Keith for your ever present smile behind the camera, Dr Art E for sharing your stories of how you got started in meteoritics and the Monnig collection, Leigh Ann and Lisa Anne for your upbeat energy, Don H for your hunting stories (say hi to Murray and Simon yeh?), Darryl P for tolerating me, Erik, Jason, Greg, Bob F, John K, and so many others with whom it was a pleasure to meet.

The memories are etched forever in my gray matter. See you all next year!

Gary Fujihara
Big Kahuna Meteorites (IMCA#1693)
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, Hawai'i 96720
http://bigkahuna-meteorites.com/