[meteorite-list] Meteorite worth thousands...........

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 21:58:11 -0800

Hey Mike, List,

I agree that the media is and can be a good tool to keep people aware of
meteorites, their value to science and collectors. However, I think
their needs to be accurate reporting and not the one-sided reporting
we've seen thus far from the Post. They're very conveniently painting a
picture of negativity surrounding the whole deal, and their motives are
clear. Reporting should be reporting, not opinion. Leave opinions to the
blogs. We read and watch the news for news, not some distorted
politically motivated spin on the news.

The whole concentration on the money issue is only part of the problem.
Kinda wierd me saying that since I do sell meteorites too. But even I
cringed a little when all the numbers started clicking by on the screen
with each new find on the Meteorite Men. But hey, I understand it's
about entertainment, and TV shows are there to make money for the
networks. Who's going to tune into a show that's nothing but pure
science. That would be boring. Throw in some treasure hunting, some
adventure, some "thrill of the hunt" and two very funny guys walking
around the desert with metal detectors and you have the Meteorite Men
show. I like the show. I think it's good for the meteorite world, but it
also needs to be tempered with the news that's happening right now.

There's a big battle going on over the ownership of the newest meteorite
fall in the USA (Lorton) that should never have been fought over. If
this meteorite had fallen through a doctors office, on Main St of
Anytown, USA back-country America I truly believe this would not be an
issue. Instead it fell mere miles from the largest museum in the world,
near the capitol of our nation, and went through the roof of a doctors
office which was part of group of buildings owned by someone else.
Perhaps, you couldn't have picked a worse place for it to hit.

Keep all meteorites in the news. Tell everyone the whole story of this
event. Let people know that it's not just about the money. It's about
the science AND the money. Let the Smithsonian have some for study and
display, give the collecting public the opportunity to purchase some for
their collections at a fair price, and allow everyone the right to view
it. It did after all fall in the USA.

People are going to concentrate on the value. It's human nature. I
understand that posting huge dollar amounts publicly makes it harder on
hunters and those trying to recover meteorites in the field. But you
have to start somewhere, and realize the media is going to report on the
dollar value. That's a BIG part of the story and what pulls in their
viewers and readers. Viewers that can be your eyes and ears on the ground.

The landowners are the people who watch these news reports and they are
the ones we must treat with respect and above all follow their wishes.
You can't just tell a landowner a meteorite is worth $20/g or $1/g or
$100/g for their meteorite from a new fall because you don't know how
things are going to turn out yet. All you can do is offer a fair price
and work a deal with the landowner that is mutually beneficial
regardless of what he or she "believes" it to be worth. I talked to
enough landowners in West to know that it's not easy to get permission
to hunt, especially when they believe that meteorites on their land are
worth $10,000. But the fact is that not all meteorites are worth that.
Once you establish raport with the landowner only then can you speak
with them about money.

Part of establishing raport is good media information. If the reporters
are educated in meteorites then they are more likely to report well on
the issue and landowners might be more apt to let you hunt their land as
long as they believe hunters are going to be fair with them. If not, and
reporters paint it in a negative light, no one will call, and meteorites
will be plowed over come planting season. Forever lost to science and
collectors.

Keep meteorites in the news. Let landowners, media, and the public know
that it's not all about the money, but that's a big part of it. I've
made up a stock letter I send out to reporters, or when I comment on a
website to let people who are caught up in the excitement know that
their information is needed and that those who hunt and recover
meteorites aren't all out just for the money, but that it's also ok if
they are. It's all about honesty and fairness.

We need the media, the media needs us. The landowners, I'm sure would
like a fair price and to be treated with respect.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA
www.meteoritesusa.com