[meteorite-list] Meteorite worth thousands...........

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:55:14 -0500

Michael,

Sorry, but I think your criticism of the media and meteorite men is a
little harsh and one sided. In the case of the washington post, this
story is about a legal battle over the ownership of a high end
meteorite. Reporting about $10 meteorites is not relevant. Reporting
about the true value of this meteorite is.

Stories like this will inspire and motivate locals to look for these
meteorites, this will hopefully lead to more lorton meteorites being
found which is good for science and the meteorite world. Two weeks
after the fall, when the story has already been forgotten, the trail
has gone cold and the pros have gone home unable to find any low
hanging fruit what chance is there other than a local finding it?
Without the media reporting about it, how would a local even know to
look? Without a financial motive why would they care? In this regard,
I believe the media is an important tool in finding meteorites from
new falls and I am happy the post is still covering the story -- it
keeps the rocks on people's minds.

Thanks,

Mike