[meteorite-list] Matters Arising (cease fire! - white flag)

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:12:59 -0500

Hi Mark and List,

Well said Mark.

I apologize to my fellow Americans for the backhanded slap I delivered
in my last post. I do carry a chip on my shoulder regarding the
"coarser" elements of our society and I let that negative attitude
overtake my last post. If anyone is accused of being "elitist", it
should be I, and not Peter. The ironic thing is, I am probably the
most dirt-poor elitist you'll ever see. ;)

I am sure that Geoff and Blaine did not have any ill-will in their
intents, nor did Greg. They were just having a bit of sport. Nobody
would question the contributions to meteoritics that these people have
made, so I think we should cut them a bit of slack regarding this.

But I also think this is a learning moment for the List and Americans.
 Just because our government's legal documents afford us the right to
own firearms in this country, it does not give us license to force our
views on other cultures. The Rocks from Space POD is an eye-candy
pleasure that many members on the List look forward to seeing. These
members are scattered around the world and not all of them share our
viewpoints on firearms and their importance to our civil liberties. I
hope that this episode will teach us to be a little more careful about
how we choose to exhibit our love of liberty and to be more
considerate of others.

As an American, I think it's great that the citizenry of Tucson can
own and carry firearms. I can guarantee that Tucson has a lower crime
rate for it. And I certainly won't argue the security that comes from
hiking the desert with a gun - considering how many drug runners and
immigrant smugglers there are out there. But, if I was a foreign
visitor coming to Tucson for the first time, I would be shocked and
perhaps scared to see a bunch of people walking around armed to the
teeth with loaded firearms in plain view and easy reach. This would
be especially true given the easy availability of alcohol. Frankly,
if I had a room in Tucson and I was selling meteorites out of it - I
would hang a sign on the door of my room - "Please, no firearms
allowed in this room." I don't see the need to carry a loaded gun to
a mineral show. I visit areas of Tampa regularly that are far more
dangerous than any tent at the mineral show, and I don't feel the need
to wear a loaded pistol on my hip. So let's show some consideration
for our overseas guests who are uncomfortable around guns - they are
our guests and it is our duty to be gracious and accomodating.

Best regards,

MikeG