[meteorite-list] Matters Arising

From: Thomas Webb <webbth1_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:45:51 -0800 (PST)

Elizabeth,
Thank you for your defense of us who live in Southern USA. I still feel a little touchy about a discussion that occurred on the list several years ago, soon after I joined, in which those of us who live in Southern USA were made fun of, and to compound it, one of those who made the most disparaging remarks works for a governmental agency and is being paid with our tax dollars!
The terms "hicks" and "rednecks" do not neccessarily equate with "unintelligent". Some of the best thinkers I know of have been, at times, referred to in this manner by some people from our northern states. I'm sure constitutional attorney Sam Ervin who referred to himself as "just a country lawyer" is one of them (he lived in a town about 30 miles from me). I think it's unfortunate that Peter used these terms to express his displeasure with the gun photos while I defend his right to show displeasure. I live in an area of NC largely settled by Scottish Highlanders and where we have the best Highland Games in the country. I would invite Peter and all of you to come this year, the second week in July. I think the photos were all in fun but in retrospect those involved probably wish they had kept them private.
I will mention another term, "meteorite", just to keep this legal for the list :>).
My best,
Thomas