[meteorite-list] dubious 'iron' on e-bay

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:39:11 -0800

Good day list,
I've been searching for meteorites from Utah on e-bay for quite some time,
and an ad came up a few days ago for an alleged iron.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110487777840&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
The seller clearly doesn't know what he's talking about (not that I'm all
that knowledgable). His grandfather found the 'rock', but apparently no
testing or analysis was ever done. To me, it looks like some kind of manmade
material, slag perhaps. But the photos don't blow up and I can't discern any
detail. Would anyone care to share an opinion? I'd appreciate it.
Linton - thoroughly enjoying Tucson!