[meteorite-list] Quick Question about Sahara xxxxx finds

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 11:25:18 -0800 (PST)

Many will provide false information or not any at all to keep the location secret. There is a discussion elsewhere currently about a finder lying about the location to secure the material available.

Algeria has laws preventing the export of meteorites, yet there are new ones coming out everyday. Even recent Lunars from there are accepted and sold. All one has to do is simply say NWA.

Berduc was the same way, many were transported outside the country and claimed to have been found elsewhere.

I have seen many others questioned about locations and even know of one person who has outright lied about where a stone was recovered to keep from paying the land owner the share agreed on and created a laughable story of the find that has been published with so many flaws, it looks like a scam ad on ebay. I bet some of you have a piece of it in your collection and dont even know the whole story behind it!

I think it happens more then we would really want to know.

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites