[meteorite-list] List of known Rusters?

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 09:02:12 -0800 (PST)

One thing you will want to stay away from is lacquer. Some dealers in the past
didn't know any better and used to coat meteorites with lacquer, especially
rusters. This doesn't allow the meteorite to breath and traps moisture inside
the piece, accelerating the oxidation process. A few also used lacquer as a
shortcut instead of finishing a polishing job. It would give the illusion of a
well-prepared piece but there is no substitute for a fine polish which reduces
surface area that can trap moisture. It is also very important to wipe down
prepared meteorites after handling them. I saw a dealer applying car wax to a
polished surface one time and he swore by it. Rusters seem to do better in an
environment that doesn't have huge temperature swings with free circulating air.
The best bet is to avoid rusters all together unless you live in a dry climate.
I tend to avoid meteorites that need any kind of maintenance. This is one of
the reasons I gravitate towards achondrites.

I found that "Rusty Mason's" meteorite treatments are the best. Hopefully, he
will be in Tucson where the Meteorite Kits can be ordered.

Best Regards,

Adam