[meteorite-list] List of known Rusters?

From: Matthias Bärmann <majbaermann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:27:17 +0100

Hi list, rustophobes -

with pleasure I post here the link to our colleague Ben's Website (who isn't
list member, but reader)

http://www.aranemac.de/mets/rost.html

In cooperation with collector-friends of the
Meteorite-Mineralien-Gold-Forum.de Ben worked out a system of 5 gratuated
rust levels in regard to iron meteorites.

As the website is in German please allow me to translate the 5 (colored)
levels:

Rust Level - 1 Staying stabile for a very long time without adding
desiccants or other assistive equipment

RL - 2 Pretty indulgent, ruster are a decesive exception

RL - 3 In the most cases without problems over a few years, but one can get
a ruster as well occasionelly

RL - 4 Problematic irons, difficult to keep stabile, rusters are in majority

RL - 5 Extreme rusters, the process usually ends with complete decay;
stabile pieces are extremely rare

The rest should be self-explanatory.

Best, Matthias