[meteorite-list] Dawn Journal - November 30, 2010 stupid question

From: Göran Axelsson <axelsson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 23:14:09 +0100

The reaction wheels is powered by electricity from the solar panels. The
reason (as I understands it) to power down the reaction wheels is to
minimize the wear on bearings and motors.
Using the attitude jets for turning is just another way of aiming the
craft. What they have done is simply slowed down the speed it turns. A
small acceleration and a small brake takes less fuel than a larger
acceleration and a harder brake. It just takes longer time.

For a solar powered spacecraft energy is free, reaction mass is
expensive. The hydrazine and xenon is basically the same thing, to xenon
energy is added from solar power while hydrazine contains it in it's
chemical structure.

/G?ran