[meteorite-list] [IMCA] Elections and my status

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:09:39 -0700

Hey Greg, I agree with you on the museum idea, however, the comment
about the museum and the Meteorite Men, is not entirely accurate.

The Meteorite Men is a show about meteorite hunting, collecting and
value, the science, and of course centers around the adventure. You're
assuming in your statement people want to be educated. They don't!
People want to be entertained. If people want to be educated they'd go
to school. The Science Channel has a very good formula. Over the years,
Discovery has honed their recipe for a show down to a few key
components, which mix the ingredients in a way that appeals to a much
wider audience. If it were just about the science, it would be boring as
hell and nobody would watch. Either you make it FUN, or you make it
dramatic. My advice for your museum is not to focus your marketing on
the educational part. Make it fun, make it interactive, keep it
exciting, the science and education comes naturally.

Also, Don't fault the IMCA for not jumping on the bandwagon. Count
Deiro's point about the IMCA being like the BBB is a good analogy. The
IMCA is not about endorsement, it's about "Authenticity", and in a word,
trust. If the IMCA jumped out there and started promoting the Meteorite
Museum, or other causes it might be seen as an endorsement of sorts.
They are not a lobbyist group, nor do they promote activism of any kind.
If the IMCA somehow endorsed your museum, what would happen? I don't know...

Regards,
Eric