[meteorite-list] Cyanobacteria in meteorites?

From: Richard Kowalski <damoclid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:54:52 -0700 (PDT)

Lars,

The abstract of Richard Hoover's lecture at SPIE was entitled
"Comets, Carbonaceous Meteorites, and the Origin of the Biosphere"

In this abstract he states in part "Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope (FESEM) studies carried out during the past several years on freshly fractured interior surfaces of the Orgueil CI meteorite has revealed in-situ the existence of the well-preserved mineralized remains of a complex suite of trichomic prokaryotes. Many of the forms found embedded in the mineral matrix are morphotypes of cyanobacteria and sulphur bacteria."

He was the Chair for a number of the sessions at this astrobiology conference.

I would suggest that anyone who takes this subject seriously and has questions about the topic, be suspicious about any sources other than his own. You can probably contact him directly more information and possibly a copy of his presentations.

--
Richard Kowalski
Full Moon Photography