[meteorite-list] Help - Displaying flanged button tektites (B. Schroeder)

From: BRIAN SCHROEDER <brian_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 03:15:04 -0700

To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Re: Help - Displaying flanged button tektites (B. Schroeder)

To: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com

Hello Rob Wesel and All

Good to see talk of Tektites on this thread , a rare treat for me ,
since I do have a vast Tektite collection , and Love them..
This is the first time I have written to the List , but I am an avid reader...

DISPLAYING TEKTITES:
I would never use an adhesive on any Specimen.. I might suggest a
small stand , specifically designed for displaying your show pieces..
I use simple Silver Wire ( any metal would work ), 3 legged displays
, that can easily be made, bent and fitted to hold any Specimen. The
ends that the Specimen rests in can be bent with Tool or Hand to Hold
the Specimen , in the same manner a Ring holds a Gemstone.
These can be Basic wire stands , or they can get quite Ornate,
depending on the amount of time, skill and effort the person making them has.
Imagination is key to making displays worthy of the Specimen being
displayed. Precast metal pieces can be used as footings or simple
pieces of wood with a drilled hole or three, to hold the Wires can be
used.. Clear Plexiglass is also nice to use and can be easily cut,
shaped and glued with a little patience.. I find the effort always
worth the reward.
Personally, sometimes I get carried away, and the stands end up
taking hours to create and are worth more than the Specimens being displayed..

If you have a Display case that allows you to Hang the Specimens from
a Monofilament strand, then wire cages can be designed as well to
hold and display Specimens as well.

Another suggestion is to have a Display case with Glass Shelves and
Back lighting as well as Front Lighting, surrounding the Specimens
with Light, so when the Lights are on, the Transparent / Translucent
Specimens Internal Color and Clarity can be clearly seen. This is a
spectacular way to display and view Pallasites as well as Tektites.

Having Fun is what it is all about. Cheers All.

B. Schroeder
Member #7381

ADVERT:
http://stores.ebay.ca/AAJEWELCOM
PLEASE contact me <brian at aajewel.com> to inquire about
Discounts, Jewelry Making, Cutting and Carving Services for IMCA Members..

Message: 3