[meteorite-list] Newcomers and the Meteorite world

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:33:31 -1000

Aloha,

Its nice to see John Schooler on the list - I got my Paragould birthday meteorite slice from him-Mahalo nui John. And yes, dealers buy and trade from other dealers for their collections and inventory all the time.

I got my first meteorite - a Canyon Diablo back in the late '60s from my uncle who returned to Hawaii after getting his schooling at Creighton to become a dentist. I treasured that iron until it was lost during a move. I've always been interested in astronomy and space exploration beginning with the first Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions, and still drives me in my educational outreach endeavors at the University of Hawaii Institute for Astronomy and as a NASA Solar System Ambassador (are there any others in metlistland?).

I have sporadically added a few specimens to my collection throughout the years, but it was the Ash Creek fall that got my juices really flowing again. My collection now consists of ~250 distinct falls and over a hundred finds, some of which can be seen on my Facebook album (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2030992&id=1394318075&l=68d4748b5a). Each are a story unto themselves, as objects created out of the formation of our solar system, finding their way to earth, and how they were obtained. I have a passion for each and every specimen in my collection and in my inventory, but that does not preclude me from parting with any of them. For I believe that I am just a temporary steward for the care and curation of these cosmic interlopers, as they were here before me and will be here long after my mortal demise.

My foray into becoming the Big Kahuna and starting a business was to help fund my collection and my outreach (last year I gave away over five kilos of meteorites to students, teachers and schools). But more importantly, it was to reciprocate the service, support and friendship that was given to me by a few of the reputable dealers (both IMCA and non-IMCA) that helped me out during my start. It can be a daunting experience to build your knowledge and collection with quality specimens without draining your bank account. Those dealers were instrumental in providing me with not just screaming deals, but a business paradigm not built around profit as the major focus.

Mahalo nui loa, me kealoha pumehana,

Gary Fujihara
Big Kahuna Meteorites (IMCA#1693)
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, Hawai'i 96720