[meteorite-list] Gebel Kemil article in New Scientist

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:29:10 -0700

Hello Keiron, All,
Right, but those meteorites have already done their part for science
by being analyzed, etc. You're getting two ideas mixed up: that
meteorites are important sources of information for understanding our
early solar system -- and that public interest in meteorites should be
fostered by having specimens on public display.
The article isn't lamenting the existence of private collections
versus public ones; it is criticizing the idea that, were scientists
not willing to analyze illicitly obtained meteorites for dealers,
there is a chance that important meteorites might go unstudied. Well,
that's one of the issues being addressed.
Given the Meteoritical Society's apparent stance on such things, I
doubt that many, if any, meteorites are suffering this fate,
but...it's something to keep in mind when buying a meteorite that was
exported illegally.
Regards,
Jason