[meteorite-list] Fireball

From: Mark Bowling <minador_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 21:50:58 -0700 (PDT)

That did cross my mind, but I failed to mention that (It was about 4 hours past
my bedtime...).? I saw about 5 meteors in about 20 minutes on Sunday night.? And
I saw one meteor when I was trying to figure out what my marker stars were.? So
I was wondering if it was part of a shower.? But I think this was a sporadic
meteor of greater significance.

I'm trying to remember, but I think the other meteors were faster.? I think it
traveled about 10 degrees, but if someone can check on their planetarium
software, and measured what I described, I think that would be more accurate.

I think the whole event (sighting to burn out) was?5 to 10?seconds (it's hard to
remember).? Next time I'll try to remember details that I failed to think about
(or hopefully I'll have a camera set up...).? The glowing train was about 5
seconds before it faded into the darkness.? If this is an alpha Capricornid (or
another from a shower), then it wouldn't produce a meteorite.? :-/? But I'm
hoping it was significant and more people will report it! :-)

Clear skies,
Mark B.
Vail, AZ