[meteorite-list] Fireball

From: GeoZay at aol.com <GeoZay_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:36:49 EDT

<<The fireball appeared in the
vicinity of Iota Aquarius, and went south to about two degrees of
Fomalhaut. <<

I wonder if this was one of the Aquarids (perhaps S. Iota Aquairid maybe?)
or perhaps an alpha Capricornid? Those are all active right now. The S.
Iota Aquarids peak on Aug 4th. About how fast did it seem to be traveling?
You said it traveled a short distance, are we talking about 5 degrees or
less? About how many seconds or fractions of one did the meteor last? At the
moment my money is on a S. Iota Aquarid member or an alpha Capricornid.
Although the alpha Caps are relatively slow, they often are bright and break up
a lot, I don't see very many with persistent trains though. Being a
fireball could make an exception.
GeoZay