[meteorite-list] Venus Catastrophic Resurfacing Hypothesis Challenged

From: Paul H. <oxytropidoceras_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:06:51 -0500

Dear Friends,

Ribbon tessera terrain on Venus challenges catastrophic
resurfacing hypothesis.

Venus Records a Rich Early History
ScienceDaily, March 25, 2010)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100326125438.htm

the paper is:

Hansen, V. L., and I. Lopez, 2010, Venus records
a rich early history. Geology. vol. 38, no. 4,
pp. 311-314, doi:10.1130/G30587.1

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/38/4/311.abstract

Hansen, V. L., and I. Lopez, 2009, Implications of
Venus Evolution Based on Ribbon Tessera Terrain
Relations Within Five Large Regional Areas. 40th
Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, (Lunar
and Planetary Science XL), held March 23-27, 2009
in The Woodlands, Texas, id.2306

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/2306.pdf

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2009LPI....40.2306H

A related article:

Did A Mega-Collision Alter Venus?
ScienceDaily (Feb. 27, 2008)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/080226160017.htm

The paper is:

Davis, H. J., 2009, Did a mega-collision dry Venus'
interior? Earth and Planetary Science Letters.
vol. 268, no. 3-4, pp. 376-383.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2008.01.031

Yours,

Paul H.