[meteorite-list] X37B Orbital Bomber

From: Darren Garrison <cynapse_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 22:36:01 -0500

With all due respect to your old pilot friend, that sounds like a steaming pile
of crap.

Meteoids enter the atmosphere at a range of 11 to 72 KM/s (according to this,
which excepts the Encyclopedia Britannica)

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/meteor.html

At the lowest of LEOs, satellites travel at less than 8 KM/s, slower than the
slowest meteoids (and of course, the higher the orbit, the lower the satellite.)
You could be generous and call that "cosmic velocity", I suppose. But even so,
that passive impactor would act just like a real meteoroid-- it would lose all
of it's velocity and finish it's fall going at nothing more than the normal
terminal velocity it would have if you dropped it from a high-flying plane. To
retain "cosmic velocity", it would have to be HUGE. Remember the space shuttle
Columbia burning up on reentry? Remember any of the big fragments of it
destroying any towns?